Sonntag, 25. November 2012

About Scrapbooking and Minimalism

On the sidebar I talk about having a soft spot for minimalism. In the last few months, I've sold or donated all my books, CDs and DVDs, only keeping some books for work reasons. I've thrown away tons of printed stuff that I was collecting throughout the years (leaflets, designed stuff I liked, information about places). I've donated clothes I never wore anymore. I've dealt with stuff that was gathering dust for years. And it feels great. My home is not completely clutter-free, but we're getting there.

While I'm always very happy when an object leaves this house, I am still pretty strict with stuff entering my home (so much that I prefer not to get presents for Christmas). But - not with scrapbooking material. I have been gathering scrapbook supplies for 15 months and spent hundreds of euros. By now my stash is pretty decent. And I still order more. But do I use everything? ...no. Sound familiar? The past weeks I've been holding myself back very little, even placing an order @ Studio Calico with the reveal of the November Kit, Sock Hop. I purchased 3 Kits. They still haven't arrived, but I look at my stash and think - when am I going to use up all this product?

My stash fits all into three shelves measuring about 25 inches (65 cm). It's a corner in our living room. I have reached a point where I feel this is it. No more. Karen Russell recently wrote on her blog that while it's important not to be limited by your gear it's equally important not to feel limited by your gear. Being creative shouldn't be about the material but how you deal with it. Now, for me it's become that to have is more important than to create and I don't want it to be this way. I have so much product to create that I have decided not to purchase any more for a while. And to make myself accountable I am joining Sandra in her project "50 Layouts before purchasing again".

50 layouts sounds pretty much, considering that since June (when I started scrapbooking) and until now I've completed 21 layouts. But well, like Elise I love a good challenge.  I'm excited about where this project will take me. 

Who else feels the same way with their stash? Have you ever taken such a challenge yourselves? Would love to read your opinion. And in honor of Karen, here's a photo :)


Auf der Seitenleiste spreche ich davon, eine Vorliebe für Minimalismus zu haben. In den letzten Monaten habe ich all meine Bücher, CDs und DVDs verkauft oder verschenkt (außer die notwendigen für die Arbeit). Ich habe tütenweise Zettel, Flyer, Postkarten, usw weggeschmissen, die ich über die Jahre angesammelt hatte. Ich habe viele Klamotten verschenkt, die ich nicht mehr getragen habe. Ich habe mich um das Zeug gekümmert, was jahrelang Staub angesammelt hatte. Und das fühlt sich toll an. Mein Zuhause ist nicht komplett entrümpelt, aber wir sind auf dem Weg dahin.

Ich bin immer sehr glücklich wenn ein Objekt mein Haus verlässt, und bin noch relativ streng wenn es darum geht, etwas Neues zu bekommen (so weit, dass ich dieses Jahr lieber keine Weihnachtsgeschenke möchte). Aber - beim Scrapzeug hört die Strenge auf. Über die letzten 15 Monate habe ich Scrap Material angesammelt und hunderte von Euro daran ausgegeben. Mittlerweile ist meine Sammlung schön anzusehen. Und ich bestelle immer noch weiter. Aber nutze ich alles? ...nein. Kommt euch das bekannt vor? In den letzten Wochen habe ich mich extrem wenig zurückgehalten, sogar bei Studio Calico eine Bestellung nach dem Reveal des November Kits Sock Hop aufgegeben. Ich habe 3 Kits bestellt. Sie sind noch nicht da, aber ich gucke auf mein bereits vorhandenes Material und denke - wann soll ich das alles jemals nutzen?

Meine Scrapsachen passen auf 3 Regalbretter, etwa 65 cm breit, in einer Ecke unseres Wohnzimmers. Ich bin an dem Punkt angelangt wo ich denke, jetzt reicht's. Karen Russell schrieb in ihrem Blog vor kurzem, dass während es wichtig ist, von seinem Werkzeug nicht eingeschränkt zu s e i n, ebenso wichtig es ist, sich durch sein Werkzeug nicht eingeschränkt zu f ü h l e n. Kreativ sein sollte nicht vom Material abhängen, mit dem wir arbeiten, sondern wie wir damit arbeiten. Mittlerweile ist h a b e n wichtiger geworden als m a c h e n und ich möchte das nicht. Ich habe so viel Produkt mit dem ich gestalten kann, dass ich beschossen habe, für eine Weile nichts mehr zu kaufen. Und um zur Verantwortung gezogen zu werden, schließe ich mich Sandra an in ihrem Vorhaben "50 Layouts bevor ich etwas kaufe".

50 Layouts klingen für mich nach ziemlich viel, wenn ich daran denke, dass ich seit Juni (als ich mit Scrappen begonnen habe) bis heute 21 Layouts fertig gestellt habe. Aber was soll's, wie Elise liebe ich die Herausforderung. Ich bin ganz neugierig, wohin mich dieses Projekt führt.

Wer sonst hat dieses Gefühl mit ihrem Scrapmaterial? Habt Ihr mal so eine Challenge für euch gemacht? Ich würde gern eure Meinung dazu hören. Und Karen zu ehren, zum Schluss ein Foto :)




3 Kommentare:

  1. What a great project. I may have to do this, Come January!

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Wow, I need a challenge like this. I have a serious problem accumulating supplies. I think it's because I don't have as much crafting time as I'd like, but I can shop online and while running errands with the kids, etc. So buying supplies is like a substitute for using them. Not that you needed to know that ;) Just rambling, because your post made me think a lot, and that's good.

    I'm the same way - I try very hard not to accumulate clutter in our house and purge frequently, but with craft supplies, I can't do the same.

    Good luck with your challenge! I may do the same.

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Thanks Merrick and Anandi for taking time to write me what you think! A challenge like this will be fun (I'm looking forward!), to challenge my creativity. Sandra says she even won't buy new cardstock once she runs out... Now that's wow. We tend to think that we need this or that product to express our style and I'm curious about if I can reverse this for me. So i'll join her in this state of commitment. I might buy new adhesives once I run out but I have so much that they will last me for some time.

      Löschen